The original Red Mill was located in the Capitol Hill neighborhood in Seattle and opened in 1937. It closed in 1967. It was known as a diner and ice creamery with table and counter service. The current Red Mills were opened first in the Phinney Ridge neighborhood in 1994 and the second location in the Interbay neighborhood in 1998.In its first year of operation the Red Mill received honorable mention in the best burger category in the Seattle Weekly's annual Best of Seattle issue. It has subsequently won the best burger award every year since, along with numerous other accolades.