Raleigh has seen hundreds of newspapers come and go over the past two hundred years. The Raleigh Times’ convoluted lineage started with The Evening Visitor in 1879. After stints as the Press-Visitor and the Raleigh Daily Times, it was bought by John C. Drewry and renamed The Raleigh Times. In 1906 the Times building was erected to house this fledgling paper. Two years later the paper went under until its purchase by John A. Park in 1911. Required to pay in gold coins, Park depleted Raleigh’s gold coin supply when he requested $25,000 in gold.