Originally founded by John, William and Charles Ernst, Ernst Café has been locally owned and operated for 106 years. While not much has changed in the past century in regards to friends and fun, Ernst Café has evolved into a premier provider for special events. Simply put, Ernst Café thrives on meeting the needs of its customers and creating an atmosphere of fun with a touch of nostalgic class. From the civil war, through prohibition, and up to the present day, 600 South Peters Street has prevailed as a successful place of business and has developed into a piece of New Orleans history. Built in 1851-52 by prominent New Orleans developer Evariste Blanc, the existing structure that occupies Ernst Café is an excellent example of pre-civil war architecture commonly found in the warehouse district. The building was originally used primarily for storage purposes and was one of the first pieces of property to be sold at the estate auction of Mr. Blanc. In 1859, Schneider and Wise Grocers occupied the building and also used it as a private residence, because at that time the building had two separate addresses. Schneider and Wise maintained their business at this location until 1902, when it was sold to three brothers that were looking to open a saloon – Joseph, William and Charles Ernst.